After a six-year wait, Tim Brown was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame this past Saturday. He had often dreamed about what that moment would be like if and when it happened. He thought about what he would say or do.

But when the time came, it was just raw emotion.

“Because you’ve had so long to prepare for it, you’d think, ‘Hey, I’m going to do this, I’m gong to do that,’” Brown said on Tiki and Tierney. “But man, all I could do was hug my family and cry. That was about all you could get out. It’s quite amazing, man. I don’t know if the wait sort of heightens the emotions or whatever, but it was quite the emotional moment, no doubt about it. Thinking about certain people just made it more emotional.”

Brown reached out to two of his former coaches, Lou Holtz and Jon Gruden, to thank them for all they did for him.

“I just wanted to be able to have a moment with those guys,” Brown said. “Because without those two guys, there’s no way that I am where I am as far as football goes.”

Brown estimated that he received more than 500 texts and 300 emails that day – not to mention countless congratulatory messages on Twitter and Facebook.

“I tried to respond to every last one of them as best I could,” Brown said. “We had a lot of folks reach out for sure.”

Brown was asked if he heard from former Raiders quarterbacks Todd Marinovich and Jeff George. He did not. But he did hear from Jay Schroeder, Jeff Hostetler, Vince Evans, Steve Beuerlein and Rich Gannon, among others.

“I’m sure I’m about 17 quarterbacks short,” joked Brown, who played with an unusually high number of signal-callers.

Brown said the process last Saturday didn’t quite go as he imagined.

“I always thought that my presenter would be able to call me and say, ‘Look, we got it done. You’re in the Hall of Fame,’” Brown said. “I actually got an emoji from my presenter, and he sent me a green monster smiley face. So I actually didn’t know what it was. (He) and I don’t converse a lot during the year, so this 415 number that came in, I had to ask, ‘Who is this?’”

Even worse, the correspondence was slower than Brown would have liked it.

Brown asked who it was. Eight or nine minutes passed. It was his presenter. Did I get in the Hall, Brown asked. Eight or nine minutes passed. Not yet, but it’s probably going to happen.

It did.

“I thought a phone call was coming, and I was a little shocked when there was a knock at the door,” Brown said. “I went to open the door because people had been coming by all day just saying good luck or whatever. When I opened the door, (Hall of Fame executive director) Dave Baker was standing there with all the cameras. So I knew something special was going down.”


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Listen Live